Emergency Management Plan
A variety of emergencies caused by acts of nature or mankind, cause human suffering, disrupt normal campus functions, and result in loss of life, property and income. During crisis, the University requires special programs to address the needs of an emergency operation and recovery management. To address such emergencies, the University of Kansas has established this Emergency Management Plan, which provides a guideline for the management of the immediate actions and operations required to respond to an emergency or disaster. The overall priorities of the University during a disaster are the protection of lives, live assets, valuable research, property, the community and the environment. The overall objective is to respond to emergency conditions and manage the process of restoring University academic and research programs and services. The campus Emergency Management Plan encompasses the facilities, services and the administration of the campus.
Purpose of the Plan
This plan provides the management structure, key responsibilities, emergency assignments and general procedures to follow during and immediately after an emergency. The University established this plan to address the immediate requirements for a major disaster or emergency in which normal operations are interrupted and special measures must be taken to:
- Save and protect the lives of students, employees, and the public.
- Manage immediate communications and information regarding emergency operations and campus safety.
- Provide essential services and operations.
- Provide and analyze information to support decision-making and action plans.
- Manage University resources effectively in an emergency operation