• Home
  • Compliments and Complaints

Compliments and Complaints

The KU Office of Public Safety strives for perfection.  In order to do this, we need to hear from our community.  If one of our employees does something that deserves a compliment or a complaint, please let us know.  Click the down arrows to find out how to compliment our staff or to fill out a complaint. 


Compliments can be submitted by phone (785-864-5900), or email to kupso@ku.edu, or a letter addressed to Chief Chris Keary (Public Safety Office, 1501 Crestline Drive, Suite. 120, Lawrence, Kansas 66045).


Complaints about the conduct or performance of police officers, security officers, communications specialist, civilian employees, or student employees are taken seriously and investigated fully. Use the complaint form to explain, in detail, the circumstances of the incident and list reasons you believe the employee or employees acted inappropriately.

You may deliver or mail the complaint form to the KU Office of Public Safety, 1501 Crestline Drive Suite 120, Lawrence, KS 66045, email it to kupso@ku.edu, or fill out our online complaint form. Upon receipt of your complaint, you may be contacted for additional information. At the conclusion of the investigation, you will receive a written response regarding the disposition of the investigation. However, you will not be provided with confidential personnel information, which includes information about disciplinary action taken against the employee(s).

This process will not determine the lawfulness of an arrest or citation, guilt or innocence of a criminal or traffic charge, or liability for violating rights. Those determinations are made in court proceedings. You will need to contact a private attorney on these matters.

Please complete the complaint form (pdf) with as much detail as possible. Be sure to include specific actions and statements, and avoid conclusions in describing any allegations of misconduct.

Complaints of Racial or Other Biased Policing

It is unlawful in Kansas for law enforcement officers to use racial or other biased based policing in determining the basis for a stop, arrest or search. If you believe that an officer from this department engaged in racial or other biased-based policing, please complete the complaint form.  You may submit the complaint form online, email to kupso@ku.edu, or in-person at the KU Office of Public Safety, 1501 Crestline Drive, Suite 120, Lawrence, KS 66045. You may also file a complaint directly with the Kansas Attorney General.​

One of 34 U.S. public institutions in the prestigious Association of American Universities
44 nationally ranked graduate programs.
—U.S. News & World Report
Top 50 nationwide for size of library collection.
5th nationwide for service to veterans —"Best for Vets: Colleges," Military Times
KU Today